Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Back in the saddle...sortof...

Dear George,

I'm really sleepy so I'm gonna be quick tonight. I went back to tae kwon do tonight for the first time in months. I forgot how much I love it.
There is something magic about moving your body through a form, it's like dancing, but better. It makes you concentrate on what each hand and foot and even finger is doing, their form and position in space. There isn't any room in your head to think about anything else, just where you are and the next move.
It gets even better when you add in a weapon. Then you concentrate not only on yourself but also the position of the weapon, how it changes, how you have to move to use it properly. And if that's not enough you also concentrate on where your imaginary opponent would be.
I think the thing I like the most George is that unlike dancing, with TKD it's just you. You're not thinking about a potential audience, or a dance partner, you're not wondering how you look and sortof trying to pose or move in an attractive way. It's just you in your head, moving through the forms. All you're thinking about is doing it correctly.
Of course when I get to a higher level there will be other things to think about, like sparring. Which is going to be fun. But tonight I feel really...I want to say zen. But that's from the wrong Asian country. So let's just say I think I'll sleep really well tonight.

G'night George.

S

No comments:

Post a Comment