Sunday, June 12, 2011

Preparation

Dear George,

I went to church today for the first time in a few weeks. I don't know why I haven't been going, but I haven't gone since the last time I taught Relief Society.

I missed it, the spirit and the people. And I think they missed me.

I met with the Bishop today, he wanted to check on me I think. While I was there I talked to him about my lesson for next week. It's on the fact that families can be together forever, and I wanted his advice on how to make it relevant to a room full of single sisters.

He said the most important thing for our ward is not to focus on which guy or girl is our eternal companion, but instead to make sure that we ourselves will make it to the Celestial Kingdom. He said finding an eternal companion does us no good if we don't make it to the Celestial Kingdom ourselves. So we should instead focus on preparing ourselves and the rest will fall into place.

The funny thing is this went right along with the lesson in Gospel Doctrine. It was on the parables of the 10 talents and the wise and foolish virgins. Basically that we should magnify the talents we have, and we should do everything we can to prepare for the coming of the Lord. That both the wise and the foolish virgins had faith that the bridegroom was coming, but the wise ones prepared themselves and so when He came they were ready.

Something someone said in the class really resonated with me. Someone said that many of us have as our ultimate goal to do the bare minimum to make it to the Celestial Kingdom. But we shouldn't just make it there, we should feel like we belong there once we get there. If we barely make it by the skin of our teeth, will we really feel like we belong?

I'm beginning to see (or being reminded when I forgot) that this is kind of like World of Warcraft. Lol, hear me out George. When you first start playing WoW, all you can think about is getting to the maximum level (when I started it was 70, then 80, now I hear it's 85). When you first start playing you feel like the ultimate thing is to get to the top level, that's the only goal you have. But there's a saying in WoW, "the game really begins at 70." or 80 or whatever.

Because in WoW, there is no "beating the game." Your whole focus shifts at max level, and the game you play becomes hugely more complicated and confusing and difficult. Many people make it to 80 and then don't or can't play the new game. So yes they're 80s, but just barely. They aren't really regarded by other max levels as serious or actual 80s, even though they made it to that level.

Back when I played, you didn't really "belong" unless you spent a LOT of time and effort preparing yourself. Learning how to play your character well both alone and also in large groups working together. Gathering the right materials, the right gear to be effective. Practicing your skills to become as proficient as possible. Only after you did these things, and proved yourself over time as a raider (or in the battlegrounds) did you really belong. Until then, you weren't really respected. If you wanted to join a raid, they might take you along with them if they couldn't find anyone else, but then again they might not. But if you prepared and got experience then you "belonged" on any raid you wanted to go on.

I thought I didn't learn much from the time I spent addicted to WoW, but sometimes it surprises me. I think that particular lesson applies not only to Church but also to life. You only really belong somewhere when you've prepared and put in the time and dedication.

I'm going to have to think about this some more. Night George.

S

P.s. I think JW has lost his phone again, it's going straight to voicemail. It's been a couple days and I'm a little concerned. Thinking about driving out to his place if I don't hear from him soon to make sure he's ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment